The story of The Little Dutch Boy Who Saved The Dikes enthralled the children today (6th July, 2014). The story is about a Dutch boy who on finding a leak in a Dike decides to plug the hole with his finger. His heroism saved the entire city as the Dike would have otherwise given away if the hole was not plugged in time. The story is also known as the Hero of Haarlem.
The storytelling began with a quick introduction about Holland and the concept of Dikes. Children were introduced to three knowledge pieces along with the story:
- Geography: Where is Holland located on the map? Where is Europe? Where is the Atlantic Ocean?
- Civics and Architecture: What are Dikes and how they help to keep the sea out
- Geography and Environment: How global warming poses a threat to low lying areas across the world including parts of Holland
The story was told to bring about the qualities of valor, fearlessness and selflessness. After the story was told, the storytellers paused to ask questions like:
- What would you have done if you were the little boy?
- What characteristics did the little boy show?
- What did you like about the story?
The children sat mesmerism as they had the story. One could see them constructing how the dikes look in their mind’s eye. They also were filled with excitement to know that when facing ordeals size doesn’t matter. What matters is presence of mind and courage.
Full Text of Story
Did he die?